- Dads Want to Become Good Fathers – imelenchon on MorgueFile
By the time a man becomes a father, he usually has an idea in his mind of the type of father he’d like to be someday. Although it is not always easy, parenting children is one of the most rewarding events in a man’s life. It is worth hanging in there on bad days and rejoicing on good days!
Things a Good Father Can Do
The one most effective thing a good father can do is to be there. Be a dynamic part of the family and make spending time with the family a daily priority. Be in the moment and the rewards will follow.
- Spend time at being a father. A comment often heard at funerals is how much the children appreciated their father simply spending time with them on a regular basis.
- Model being kind to the spouse since that is how sons learn how to treat women. It is also how girls learn how they should be treated. Stay aware that modeling is one of the main ways children learn.
- Engage children in conversation, listening with obvious interest and eye contact.
- Share in the household responsibilities on a regular and dependable basis. There is nothing more manly than a man who carries his load at home. The whole family notices.
- A good father can keep learning. It’s perfectly okay to admit the need to develop fathering skills. Seek out a course at the local college, library, church, or community center. Older adults can help.
- Give attention to finding balance between authority and relaxation as well as between career and family time.
- Put patient energy in teaching children financial responsibility, and show it by daily actions.
- Use humor and don’t take things too seriously, yet be openly passionate about wanting to be a good father.
- Make it a habit to rest and restore energies regularly, including family members when possible.
- Learn to forgive both self and others. This can allow a father to not get stuck in less effective methods, since forgiveness cleans the slate for a new try the next day.
Things to Avoid While Becoming a Good Father
However, there are things that fathers should not do as well.
- Don’t hide at the computer, newspaper, television, or other distraction. Tiredness after work can be dealt with by crashing on the couch for a few minutes – perhaps with a protein snack – where there is still engagement in the family activities.
- Don’t avoid love or the children. They both temper life and give it special meaning.
- Be cautious of drinking on the way home or before supper since this can be an escape from family time.
- Don’t just throw money at problems. Discuss, mediate, and deal with children realistically.
- Don’t just be a “zoodaddy” choosing only the good times, but be ready with a shoulder to cry on and hugs to encourage. Kids often remember with great fondness that their dad did the mundane daily tasks like walking them into the school building or taking out the trash together. Chat with children about life’s real issues often.
There are effective ways to develop parenting skills and become a good father. There are things to do, and things not to do to be a good father in parenting children. One of the most important ways to succeed at fatherhood is to be there. Be a team player in the family. It doesn’t take perfection to be a good dad, but persistence helps. The role of a dad has a lasting effect on the lives of children, and becoming a good father is worth the effort.